An important update! The Youth Club has moved slots! We now meet on the Final Friday of the month at St Michael’s Hall 5pm – 6.30pm. Baked potatoes will be served! Subs £1.50. We will meet on 30th January and 27th February.
Men’s Breakfast The next Men’s Breakfast will be at Bickerstaffe School at 9am on Saturday 21st March. New members welcome!
Welcome to the Lord’s Table
At a Passover meal, the youngest child asks “what is so special about a night like this?” the host of the meal will answer by telling the guests about the time Israel was led from slavery to the promised land. Holy Communion evolved from the Passover meal and reminds us that we were saved from the slavery of sin to benefit from new life in Christ.
The Welcome to the Lord’s Table course is for children in Y4+ who would like to learn more about the Christian faith and join with the church family in the special act of worship and remembrance by taking Holy Communion. Any children from St Michael’s wanting to join the course this year please speak to Margaret Ellams. Any children from Bickerstaffe, please speak to Andrew.
Shrove Tuesday Pancake Party
There will be a pancake party including quiz, for all ages at Four Lane End’s Mission, Skelmersdale Road, Bickerstaffe on 17th February at 6pm. All welcome!
Lent is a season of preparation and penance as we approach Easter. People often give up a luxury as a form of penitence. This year why not take something on, rather than give something up? During Lent, there will be the usual Lent Groups and Lent reflections followed by breakfast. If you haven’t attended a group or reflection before, they why not give it a go?
Ash Wednesday There will be a Communion service with ashing to mark the beginning of Lent on 18th February at 7.30pm at St Michael’s Church.
Lent Groups This year, the Lent groups will follow the course ‘Praise Him – songs of praise in the New Testament’. We are used to singing hymns of praise when we go to church, but often we miss the hymns and poems that are there in the New Testament. This course will explore five different Songs of Praise from the New Testament, looking at what they tell us about God and Jesus but also reflecting on what they tell us about us and our faith.
The five sessions are: 1. Gratitude (Ephesians 1.3-14); 2. Image of God (Colossians 1.15-20); 3. Humility (Philippians 2.5-11); 4. New birth (1 Peter 1.3-12); and 5. Word made flesh (John 1.1-14).The venues and times of the groups are: Tuesday at 7.30pm (Feb 24th, March 3rd, 10th , 17th, and 24th) Bickerstaffe Hall, Hall Road, Bickerstaffe Wednesday at 7.30pm (Feb 25th, March 4th, 11th, 18th, and 25th) The Rectory, Church Lane, Aughton Friday at 2pm (27th Feb, March 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th) Alms House Bungalows, Off St Michael’s Park, Aughton.
Please feel free to come and join any group within the benefice – everyone is welcome! Course books cost £3.49 each and we are going to order a copy on behalf of everyone who signs up by 15th February. If you happen to miss the book order deadline, don’t panic because individuals can order the book directly from the publisher’s website, www.yorkcourses.co.uk.
There will be Lent reflections at Bickerstaffe Church at 8am followed by breakfast at Bickerstaffe School. The reflections are intended for all ages and this year, our reflections will be based upon the Lord’s Prayer. Below are the dates and the themes:
-25th February Our Father
-4th March Thy Will Be Done
-11th March Our Daily Bread
– 18th March As We Forgive
– 25th March In Heaven
Holy Trinity Dates & News
Dates for your diary-
- 1st February Gift Day.
- 8th February Family Service with Baptism.
- 17th February Pancake Party.
- 27th March Easter Bingo at the Mission.
- Gift Day Holy Trinity’s Gift Day is on Sunday 1st February. The increasing costs of running Holy Trinity Church is not matched by an increasing income, and so we would like to invite members of the church and community to give a one off gift in appreciation for the friendship and ministry they receive from Holy Trinity Church. Gift Aid envelopes will be available nearer the time. Thank you for your ongoing support.
- 2015 Calendar of Events Leaflets have been produced to advertise the services and events at Bickerstaffe Church during 2015. Please take a couple and pass them on to friends or neighbours.
- Before the service starts… Could I encourage members of the church to respect a period of 5 minutes reflection before the church service starts. During that time, Vera will play the organ or a CD will play. There is plenty of time for chat following the service in the north aisle!
- Meeting for Sides people Visitors to Holy Trinity often remark on how friendly a church we are. The Sides People are often the first to welcome people, and their ministry is very much appreciated. There will be a meeting for Sides People following the service on 1st March, when we discuss how we develop this important ministry.