History

Here is some information about the church from the British Listing Buildings website-

Church. 1843 by Sydney Smirke. Enlarged 1860. Sandstone ashlar with slate
roofs. Comprises a west tower with spire, nave, lower chancel, north
aisle under a pitched roof, and north vestry. The tower has angle
buttresses, paired lancet bell openings, and corner pinnacles with flying
buttresses to the stone spire. The west doorway projects slightly under a
gable and is moulded with angle shafts. The tympanum is carved with 3
angels. The west window of the north aisle, which was added in 1860, is
of 3 lights with Geometric tracery. The south wall of the nave is of 3
lights separated by buttresses with pinnacles and has a corbel table
below a parapet. The windows are paired lancets. In the south wall of the
chancel is a single lancet. The 3-sided east end has similar windows. The
east window of the vestry is of 2 pointed lights with a foiled circle in
the head. The north wall of the aisle is of 3 bays. The western bay is
occupied by a doorway with trefoiled head and angle shafts within a
gabled projection. Interior: north arcade of 4 bays. The pointed arches
are plastered, have 2 plain orders, and spring from round piers with
moulded capitals. At the west end of the nave is a gallery with timber
front carried on timber posts. The king-post roof has curved braces to
raised tie-beams. The plastered chancel arch is pointed and chamfered.
Around the apse is a blind arcade of pointed arches springing from
engaged shafts. The octagonal font is decorated with interlaced round
arches. The apse windows contain glass from the late 1860s showing scenes
from the life of Christ.